Finland Times

Sunday, 03 July, 2022
Home NATIONALMinister rejects possibility of reconsidering garrison closure decision
Print
Tue, 09 Sep, 2014 02:34:46 AM
FTimes-STT Report, Sept 9

Defence Minister Carl Haglund rejected the proposal made by the parliamentary group chair for reconsidering the government’s decision to close down some of the garrisons, reported the Finnish language newspaper Keskisuomalainen.

The minister in an exclusive interview with the newspaper said the garrisons that face the closure are mainly peacetime training units and re-opening of the garrisons would not bolster the country’s defence.

Defense Minister Carl Haglund. Photo Lehtikuva.
“Keeping the possible threats in mind, the country should adhere to its defence capability so that additional money is needed for defence procurement,” Haglund told the newspaper.

The chairman of Parliamentary Defence Committee, Jussi Niinistö, on Sunday in a television interview proposed that the decision for closure of some garrisons should be reviewed.

Talking to MTV Jussi Niinistö said the issue will be reconsidered again, if his party True Finns assumes state power.

As an example, Niinistö said the North Karelia Brigade should not be discontinued in the current international situation.

Earlier in may 2013, the government decided to close down six wings and facilities of the defence forces to reduce expenditures by more than EUR 800 million by 2016.

The six garrisons or defence wings scheduled to be abolished are the Engineering Regiment in Keuruu, Häme Regiment in Lahti, Air Force Academy in Kauhava, North Karelia Brigade in Kontiolahti, Kotka’s Coast Battalion, and Air Force Technical School in Jämsä.
 

comments powered by Disqus
More News

 
   
Copyright © 2022 All rights reserved
Developed By -